Jobs/2x Visual/graphic designer
Apply for this opportunity
Why do you think you are the best choice for this position?
Agency / Department
Department of Education, Skills and Employment
Expected Rate (inc. Super)
$100 per hour***
Australian Capital Territory,New South Wales
Overview and Responsibilities
The Department of Education, Skills and Employment is seeking experienced information designers to provide graphic design, visual communication, and project management support to a strategic User Centred Design Team. Under the 2020–2023 ICT Strategy the team is responsible for establishing design traceability and capability and working closely with the broader Architecture, Design and Delivery Branch that enables the Digital Solutions Division to build the right things and then build things right.
This role will develop a wide variety of presentation visuals and infographics that help leaders and technical staff understand and adopt various strategies, benefits, and programs. As part of a motivated multi-disciplinary team and branch you will analyse complex information and data in order to visualise it in innovative ways, teasing out the narrative that effectively tells the user-centred story. InDesign, PowerPoint, and other software in a Microsoft environment will be used to communicate that story to a non-technical audience in print, online, multimedia and in events/presentations. The successful candidates will have the opportunity to significantly impact the Australian education, skills and employment ecosystem by enabling design improvements and features used by millions of people each year.
Your duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Distilling complex and/or technical written information into effective visual communication products (such as diagrams and infographics).
• Working as a member of a team to design materials for multiple channels, including print and online distribution to meet business objectives.
• Working collaboratively on projects, providing expert and timely creative advice to ensure high design standards across key projects.
• Ensuring materials for publishing comply with WCAG 2.1 accessibility guidelines and Digital Transformation Agency recommendations.
• Developing and maintaining effective relationships both internally and externally
• Appropriate management of time and workload
• Ensuring that any materials produced meet the requirements of the Department’s visual style guide and are consistent with the appropriate branding guidelines. The ideal candidate will be able to showcase their work through a design portfolio and present a narrative that tells the visual story as to why they are the right person for the role.
1. Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and influence technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels by clearly articulating your vision, design concepts and recommendations through thoughtful storytelling in the context of the business problems to be solved and desired behavioural outcomes.
2. Demonstrated experience in typesetting for (print) and UI/UX (digital) design experience for online products and using Adobe Creative Suite software such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and XD, in a Microsoft environment
3. Experience in designing with / translating visuals into Microsoft products, such as PowerPoint, Publisher etc.
4. Exceptional visual communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical information graphically to non-technical audiences.
5. Project management support, including excellent time management skills, a high level of attention to detail, and flexibility and resilience to work in and support staff in a demanding team environment
1. Understanding of the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard and/or the UK Design Council’s Double Diamond Model
2. Qualifications in graphic or visual design or another related field would be highly regarded.
3. Versatility across a wide range of user experience practices, including user research, stakeholder engagement, information architecture, interaction design, UI/visual design, prototyping and testing.
Ability to Obtain baseline clearance
1 extension of 1 year. 1 further extension of up to 1 year
***Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for more information regarding the expected rate