Agency / Department
Department of Education, Skills and Employment
Expected Rate (inc. Super)
$90 per hour***
Australian Capital Territory
The National Skills Commission (NSC) is working to develop intelligence on Australia’s labour market, workforce changes and current and emerging skills needs. The NSC will drive long-term improvements across the skills system to bring together existing data and develop new capability in skills analysis, and improved data and advice on VET pricing and outcomes. The Commission provides high quality advice to the Minister for Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business on Australia’s labour market, future workforce changes and current and emerging skills needs. It uses new data sources and techniques such big data and machine learning, as well as more traditional economic and skills analysis.
Key focus areas include:
- Assessing the nature of labour market recovery
- Determining skills shortages or surplus
- Analysing the structural shifts that are occurring in the labour market
- Identifying current, emerging and future skills needs.
- Excellent communication skills, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated experience in applying data science to meet the needs of business users, including understanding business requirements, articulating problem statements and developing criteria for suitable implementation of data science solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of appropriate techniques to explore, profile and cleanse data from a diverse range of sources and experience in presenting exploratory data analysis to non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience using Python, PySpark, R or SparkR programming languages through development environments including Databricks for developing supervised and unsupervised machine learning models, with a particular emphasis on Natural Language Processing.
- Demonstrated experience in using data science preferably for economic research, working with Australian Labour Market data such as ABS Quarterly Labour Force Survey and Census.
- Experience with proof-of-concept development, preferably in Power BI or Shiny.
- Experience working with big, unstructured datasets. Knowledge of the Burning Glass dataset would be an advantage.
- Expertise in Agile methodology and a clear understanding of the ethical implications and governance of algorithms.
Must have current baseline clearance
Automatic 12 month extension if both parties are happy with the arrangement
**Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for more information regarding the expected rate