Jobs/1 x Geospatial Data Engineer
Apply for this opportunity
Why do you think you are the best choice for this position?
Agency / Department
Department of Education, Skills and Employment
Expected Rate (inc. Super)
$100 per hour***
Australian Capital Territory
Overview and Responsibilities
The Data and Business Intelligence Platform Operations section is responsible for the design, development, delivery, and administration of the department’s key ICT information management platforms that ensure the delivery of quality analytics and digital outcomes for the department.
The Spatial Enablement team within the section provides policy and program areas with: mapping, address management, geocoding, boundary tagging, spatial data analysis, support, advice and consultancy. The team also supports and maintains bespoke and third party geospatial products.
Duties for this role include:
• Analysing spatial business data to provide the right solutions for Policy and Program areas, for Data Modelling and IT teams, for Chief Data Officer and Minister’s Office requests.
• Suitably representing and displaying data in digital (interactive) and hardcopy (static) maps to communicate the key policy and program spatial requirements.
• Sourcing, creating, and managing spatial data and maintaining metadata.
• Guiding and mentoring staff.
• Geocoding and validating address data.
• Evaluating stakeholder interest and tailoring spatial solutions to stakeholder needs.
• Engaging in Agile project-based activities.
• Keeping up to date with latest developments in spatial technology to monitor professional trends and identify impacts on work practices.
• Assisting with programming and automating Geographic Information System (GIS) tasks and actively contribute to opportunities for technology improvements and optimisation of spatial processes
E1. Demonstrated experience in the use of MapInfo Pro and Feature Manipulation Engine (FME) to create and analyse spatial data in tabular and vector format.
E2. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify stakeholder needs and come up with appropriate solutions. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written to communicate complex spatial concepts in simple terms and provide spatial, technical advice in language suitable for audiences.
E3. Strong SQL experience with an ability to query database tables to extract datasets important for spatial analysis.
E4. Good knowledge of Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS) and spatial data, including the application of ASGS for the generation of policy map file boundaries.
E5. Experience in using Business Intelligence tools (such as QlikSense, Power BI or SAS) for visualisation of spatial and business data or willingness to learn.
E6. Sound cartographic skills and knowledge of basic UI design concepts (HTML, CSS) to create professional quality web maps.
O1. Experience with Agile work practices (DevOps, Scrum, Kanban) or aptitude for learning, including mentoring and guiding teams.
O2. Working knowledge of .NET, DevOps and PowerShell scripting or prior development experience for maintenance of custom spatial software.
O4. Experience in web APIs (web services) and familiarity with Cloud technology (Azure Data Services).
O5. Prior experience or working knowledge of: ESRI ArcGIS, Python and QGIS.
Must Have current baseline clearance
2 x 6-month extensions
***Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for more information regarding the expected rate