Jobs/Senior Development Expert (COBOL)
Agency / Department
Expected Rate (inc. Super)
$145 per hour***
Australian Capital Territory
Health Systems Branch are seeking experienced Senior Development Experts (COBOL).The Senior Development Expert undertakes technical research and analysis to drive the design, and the development of high quality solutions in support of business and technical requirements. They lead and provide technical management
The Senior Development Expert operates with a significant degree of independence and works under the broad guidance of a National Manager to deliver quality outcomes. They operate with a high level of autonomy, with decision-making highly dependent on their own judgment.
In performing a leadership role, Senior Development Experts identify and drive innovation, manage and lead change, and have an active role in contributing to and implementing the agency’s strategic direction.
The Senior Development Expert may be responsible for, and/or contributes to the management of a team. Maintaining data integrity within the Medicare system is vital to providing accuracy of payments to all Australians.
Completeness and consistency of data increases stability and performance of the Medicare system while improving reusability and maintainability.
Safety of information is paramount in regards to regulatory compliance and cyber security.
The integrity of data ensures that information stored in the Medicare system will always remain complete, accurate and reliable despite any intervention or disruption that may occur. If we do not maintain data integrity this results in inaccuracy's of payments, reduced productivity, increased inefficiencies and operational costs, potential reputational damage for Services Australia.
- Translate technical and market trends into development strategy
- Accountable for the analysis, design, development, prototyping, unit testing and maintenance activities
- Ensure compliance withendorsed software development methodologies
- Implement methodology, manage and lead change and actively contribute to the agency’s strategic direction
- Develop strategy to ensure high code quality and long-term maintenance of a product's code base
- Ensure development productivity and excellence in quality
- Conduct impact analysis, evaluate, and report on technical feasibility and risks for development projects
- Proactively share knowledge and expertise as the subject matter expert, and provide assistance and mentorship to less experienced colleagues
- Oversee operations of teams, including providing a clear sense of direction, setting work priorities and managing resources
- Provide direction and support to development teams to ensure high quality solution realisation. 11. resolve very complex, sensitive and/or escalated technical issues
- Minimum 5 years proven experience as a COBOL developer on an IBM mainframe
- Demonstrated experience as a highly specialised COBOL/Mainframe Developer
- Demonstrated experience delivering end to end solutions and leading a team of developers in a complex environmen
- Ability to analyse complex systems, understand architecture and produce high level designs and Solution documents
- Sound understanding of different design patterns and hands on experience with delivering solutions using JavaEE, web services, Git and DB2.
- Understands relational database concepts and the use of SQL, and implement high performance database solutions
- Understands Agile concepts and delivers work in Agile environment
Must hold a Baseline Security Clearance
Up to 24 months
**Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for more information regarding the expected rate