Apply before 6PM (AEDT) on: Wednesday, February 10, 2021
Australian Capital Territory
Agency / Department
Expected Rate (inc. Super)
$110 per hour***
Overview and Responsibilities
Geoscience Australia is Australia's pre-eminent public sector geoscience organisation. We are the nation's trusted advisor on the geology and geography. We apply science and technology to describe and understand the Earth for the benefit of Australia. We value diversity in gender, backgrounds, culture, and experiences of our employees and are committed to providing an inclusive workplace culture that ensures everyone has equal opportunity to contribute, participate and progress. We are committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of our employees and offer a flexible and diverse workplace.
The Role The Minerals Energy and Groundwater Information Services (MEGIS) Section provides specialised technical capabilities to support key outcomes of the Minerals Energy and Groundwater Division (MEGD), including scientific computing and data analytics. The Geoscientific computing team under the Information Services Section has primary responsibility for the design, development and maintenance of scientific workflow software for data modelling, processing and visualization. The team collaborates closely with geoscientists to deliver high value data-intensive projects, such as Seismic and Magnetotelluric data analysis processing and modelling, geochemical mapping using machine-learning. The team uses high performance computing platforms to develop and operate a wide range of scientific software systems. T
his role will work in the geoscientific computing team to develop, implement, test, and improve a wide range of software and algorithms in suitable programming languages.
- Degree and Qualification in software engineering, mathematics and physics or related field of science.
- Demonstrated experience with Python programming languages and packages. And experience with Fortran and C programming languages.
- proven ability to write systems documentation, such as design specifications, installation guides, and user manuals; write and present quality scientific reports and publications in collaboration with team members.
- Extensive experience in numerical analysis software; and in using High-Performance Computing environments, such as Linux clusters.
- Broad experience in modern software engineering best practices and demonstrated proficiency in using relevant productivity tools.
- awareness and experience in emerging technologies in digital science, such as cloud computing and machine learning
- well-developed communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience and mindset in agile work pattern, positive collaborative team culture
- Ability to obtain baseline clearance
Two x 12 month extension options