Apply before 6PM (AEDT) on: Thursday, February 17, 2022
Australian Capital Territory
Agency / Department
Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
Expected Rate (inc. Super)
$130 per hour***
Overview and Responsibilities
The End to End Monitoring Project requires an architect to oversee the implementation of monitoring solutions for critical business systems and to develop an enterprise capability. To achieve this, they will need to work collaboratively with business stakeholders, initially in the Exports group, and technical teams across Information Services Division (ISD).
The duties performed by the architect will include:
•Working with business and product stakeholders to understand their needs for monitoring, covering service level expectations and current pain points for alerting and notification, through to detailed information products required by developers (e.g. logs) and reports.
•Working with product development teams to understand system architectures, and services including complex integrations with other systems.
•Identify what needs to be monitored and validate this with business and product teams.
•Identify gaps in monitoring and logging that need to be addressed, including by both the end to end monitoring team and by product development teams.
•Develop architecture, details and patterns, in conjunction with other team members, to support the immediate needs for monitoring of business systems, including dashboards, notifications and other reporting, as well as the longer team development of an enterprise monitoring capability.
•Undertake or guide detailed analysis of data to support the development of monitoring and notification solutions, problem solving and business and operational reporting.
•Communicate with business, product development teams and technical stakeholders within ISD about their pain points, potential solutions, their role in monitoring and any blockers as they arise during implementation.
•Scope tasks and acceptance criteria for activities to be performed by the end to end monitoring team and product development teams, including phasing work over several program increments.
1. Extensive experience in development of business-related non-functional requirements (NFRs) and the design of solutions to meet those NFRs. This includes quality of service characteristics including availability, reliability, response times and run times, capacity, scalability and throughput.
2. Extensive experience in design and implementation of business systems, including: •business capabilities and business processes provided by the system •application architecture (including integrations with other systems) •data architecture and database design •runtime infrastructure used by the system •the service management processes (IT and business) that support the system.
3. Proven ability to work with new systems and rapidly understand and document the architecture of the system and its associated operations.
4. Proven ability to solve complex business and technical problems, using evidenced based analytics derived from system and application logs, system databases and metrics.
5. Excellent oral and written communications skills including being able to communicate with business stakeholders and technical staff at executive levels through to subject matter experts.
6. An ability to define technical tasks for project teams, to oversee their successful execution and to overcome problems as they arise in a harmonious and collaborative manner.
1. Experience with monitoring tools, such as Application Performance Monitor tools, Application Insights, Azure Monitor, software product monitors (such as Oracle Enterprise Manager and Systems Center Operations Manager).
2. Experience using log analytics tools, such as Splunk, Elastic and Azure Log Analytics and developing database queries such as SQL Server and Oracle DBMS.
3. Experience with Cloud based solutions such as those provided by Azure.
4. Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery practices and tools.
Must Have current baseline clearance
2 x 12 month extension options